The Toowong French Patisserie opened in June 1984. Online French Patisserie opened in 2006. Salt Village French Patisserie opened in July 2017 and Wholesale French Patisserie has reopened in early 2020.
The French Patisserie supplies Brisbane and the southern end of Gold Coast with authentic French style pastry products. This business has been owned by the Gravestein family since 1998. Justin Gravestein trained here from age 15 with the original three French brothers who opened the patisserie. Today Head Chef Anthony Steele leads our patisserie kitchen in Toowong, Cindy Rixon manages the shop and Craige & Ruth Gravestein oversee the family business. The Toowong patisserie has become a part of Brisbane folklore, even having been included in award winning author Nick Earls’ 1997 novel, Zigzag Street. We are serving next generation customers who come with tales of eating here or ordering their croquembouches decades ago with parents and grandparents. The Cat & Fiddle Village in Toowong has undergone a major renovation during the first half of 2021 adding a new dining pod for our customers.
Salt Village French Patisserie was a ‘while on holiday in Kingscliff’ thought bubble that gathered momentum waiting a long time in a coffee queue. The kitchen there is managed by our French Senior Pastry Chef Eddy Pinchart and the shop is managed by Laia Duch. Salt Village French Patisserie has very quickly become a favourite French pastry fix for the northern NSW community.
Our signature pastries that customers seek out are:
- Croissant (plain, pain au chocolat and pain au raisin)
- Custard and almond croissant
- Chocolate custard and almond croissant (Salt Village, Kingscliff only)
- Ham and Neufchatel cheese croissant, served warm
- Cheese strudel, Vanilla slice, Citrus & pistachio tart, Lemon Meringue tart
- Egg Benedict in a brioche shell* and Salmon Florentine in a brioche shell*
- Croque Monsieur, Croque Champignon and Croque Madame
- Lamaron* (lamington inspired macaron)
- Chocolate mud gateau and the Chocolate fudge gateau (gluten free)
- Savoury amuse bouche range
*Created by and unique to our patisseries.